Monday, February 13, 2006

Morrowind: Why it took me so long.

I know I’m like 4 years late with this one, but give me a break. I don’t even know what I was doing in 2002 or what game I was playing. Probably Final Fantasy or Tomb Raider, maybe even Halo. In fact that may very well be what I was just starting to get into. Yes….I remember it like it was yesterday. I refused to buy an Xbox as I was a devoted Playstation gamer for many many years, but the call of Halo was too great to resist. I played this neato First Person Shooter with my friends for months and months on end. We’d stay up late nights for 12-16 hr sessions high on nicotine, alcohol, caffeine or THC... or all of the above. Our favorite games were guys against the girls games.

We girls would crowd ourselves into a tiny room on a 36” tv and play splitscreen against our men in the other room who played splitscreen on a massive widescreen tv. Possibly 62”, I can’t remember. There we were in our tiny smoke infested room never batting an eye against the constant onslaught the men brought down upon us. But if they thought we were easy targets they had another thing coming. We were good….damn good….well…..either that or they were really high most of the time. Which, come to think of it they were, but hell we didn’t give a shit! We wanted to win!!!! And win we did.

Well, suddenly first person shooters became a part of my gaming world and I’ve been playing mostly FPS games ever since. In fact, most of the games I bought for my Xbox are FPS games. The whole reason this site even exists was for the friends I’d make while playing FPS games on Live. Granted I did get into Phantasy Star Online for a while, but it just didn’t cut it in the end and paying a monthly fee on top of the yearly fee just wasn’t something I would have kept going for long anyway.

Halo 2 came out last year finally. I only just discovered it in late 2001, I had to wait so long after the realease of Xbox Live for Halo2 and now…. Wait…When did the game get released? Last year? The year before last??? I can’t remember, it’s all a haze. That’s how retardedly long I’ve been playing this game. It’s consumed every aspect of my being, every shred of my time, every moment of my life….wait, no I actually do have a life and yes, I do realize that retardedly isn’t actually a word, but it’s definitely taken over my gaming and as I’ve mentioned before I’m bored. I’ve been feeling this way for some time now and I couldn’t quite put my finger on it. Was it work? Was it my home, car, clothes, books, food, friends, family… what? No, just this video game. Seems I let some game infest my life like a virus and now I can’t get rid of it. I’m definitely tired of playing it day after day, but it’s the friends I’ve made on it that I’m loath to stop playing with.

So, how do you do that? How do you play the games you want to play and still play with your friends? When I figure it out I’ll let you guys know, In the mean time I’m immersing myself into The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. I picked it up at my local Gamestop for 8 bucks. That’s a hell of a deal man! I also picked up Paraiah and Tenchu something or another. I bought Paraiah clinging to the hope that it wasn’t FPS games that I was sick of, but I was wrong. Paid 30 bucks for that one and it’s going back today. I’d rather buy 3 more RPG’s than another shitty FPS….at least for now. I’m a lucky girl. I got loads of little pre-Valentines Day gifts this weekend and I plan on spending Valentines Day thanking my hubby for Morrowind in many creative and flexible ways.

Thank you and goodnight!

No comments: