Wednesday, August 8, 2007

XBrood Live: Rigid Raiders Take on Cutscenes

XBrood Live: Rigid Raiders Take on Cutscenes

Wednesday, March 08, 2006
Posted by Maharet at 10:45 AM

Rigid Raiders Take on Cutscenes


My husband loves to play just as much as I do, but for different reasons altogether. I sat here writing another article waiting for the next cut scene in his Tenchu game. I noticed a cut scene was just about to play so I naturally perked up and stopped what I was doing. Rigid quickly pushed the X-button to continue the game and as I began to protest muttered, "Cut scenes are shit.", in his very lovely and gruff English accent.

Wait, there's more....


Now this isn't actually the first time I've heard him say so but this time it struck me as odd. How can you not like video game cut scenes? I live for cut scenes. I breath cutscenes. I must have my cut scenes! They determin the flow of the game, define the drama behind it. They give you the inspiration to continue and find out what's behind the door. Give you insight into the story and characters and sometimes provide valuable information to crucial to complete a game. How could you not like a cut scene?

Of all the games I've played the ones that stick out amongst the rubble are the games with the best movie like storylines. Games like TombRaider, Parasite Eve, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill & Halo just to name a few. Those games would not have had the depth and wonder without those movie scenes, but my husband could not be less interested. In his opinion cut scenes should be cut from video games. His sentiment is that if he wanted to watch a movie he'd go rent one. He's there to play and play only. Cut scenes only serve to distract the gamer, take up too much time or are, quite simply put, "boring as fuck".

You know what I think? I think I just don't know who the hell I'm living with! It seems the only things that interest him whilst gaming is a great charecter with great moves, some soda, a comfy seat and, as he so bluntly put it, "a great blow job". Keep dreaming honey.... keep dreaming.

No comments: